Subject: Re: [Harp-L] lips

Okay, good...now that you have the lip problem under control ;)....let's
talk about those harps. You NEED TO CLEAN THEM!  And yes, I'm a wee bit
OCD...Jason and I established this a long time ago...

There are several posts in the archives relating to Jason's past posts
under: Sexy Rocker's OCD Cleaning Ritual...followed by others posts on the same
 topic. He's since switched to using Kaboom (a generally available purple
household cleaner he soaks his covers in - and probably other parts - I
believe  he has a YouTube video or two out discussing his cleaning ritual). I
still use  Rubbing Alcohol followed by Clorox' Anywhere Hard Surface Spray
(poured into a  tiny container and wiped onto/into any hard surface with a
clean cloth or  Q-tip)....

...to remove rust from inside cover plates I use MAAS polish (tube). It
works on jewelry, silverware and other fine metals, plus plastics, glass, etc.
 Doesn't scratch...and can be buffed to a gorgeous shine. It was developed
specifically as an answer to the very toxic metal polishes on the market -
and  has since been recommended for musical instruments (the reason I use it
on  harmonicas - specifically my chromatics). I've gotten a lot of old rust
off the  underside of cover plates with MAAS. I always do a wipe down with
the  Anywhere spray and then a final, dampened with water clean cloth wipe
down, then  dry thoroughly. It is time consuming, but worth it. More detailed
info is all in  the archives here.  Once they're thoroughly cleaned, a
light maintenance is  all you should need...keep your harps clean ...use a lip
balm, and you should be  able to help prevent those sores from recurring.

As to tongue abrasions/sores (had you asked about that as well?)...can't
help too much with those. I've had dental work done with my dentist leaving
the occasional sharp edges on which I've abraded my tongue while
playing...ouch!  (People with TMJ issues and/or who grind their teeth are  prone to
this). I now make it a practice to ask him to smooth out any rough  inside
edges especially before going away to a Convention...it isn't fun dealing  with
this problem far away from home. Alternatively, last year I bought Orajel
and a tooth filling kit at the local drug store in St. Louis and covered
over  sharp edges of a molar which was causing me all kinds of  grief, numbing
the pain with the Orajel. It held until I got home  and I was able to talk
and play at SPAH without too much agony.

Elizabeth

Message: 4