From: chicago bluesman <chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Why am I killing the 4-blow reed so quickly?
To: opus314@xxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 8:36 PM

I have the same pattern of reed fatigue with my harps and I attribute it to the fact that the #4 draw bend is such a popular and often-used note in the blues scale. It's my understanding that Howard Levy's ground-breaking use of fiber optics to observe the innards of a harmonica while being played demonstrated that draw bend notes are actually produced by the blow reed being forced up into, so as to move in the direction opposite to its usual direction of travel, producing the bent note(s). The poor blow reed just can't hold up with repeated pressure to be pulled up into a position it wasn't designed to take, gets fatigued and loses its tuned responsiveness, going flat. This is my simple, nontechnical understanding--I'm sure there are expert technicians on the list who can better explain what's going on...but this is my rough explanation. Other than trying not to bend so deeply, so loudly or so frequently, I don't think there's anything to be
 done about it. I'd be interested to hear whether or not my grasp of harp mechanics while bending is accurate or not.

John