Subject: Re: [Harp-L] spah.org Content

Actually...the 'squib' is already there...right on the first page (last
line of the last paragraph), where one is welcomed to SPAH. (I did notice a
couple of typos so will gladly volunteer to help Bob do any proofreading he
might want to run by me since it's one of my fortes)....

...but the gist of this very warm welcome is what brought most of us  to
SPAH originally. There has been so much written about the various SPAH's over
the last few years - if you do a search of the archives around the last two
 weeks of August of each year - you'll get an idea of the kind of amazingly
good  time people have had attending each Convention. Many of us wrote
synopses post-SPAH.  Being a beginner is no detriment to having  a wonderful
time. The entire idea is to promote and preserve the harmonica.  In fact many
people who attend don't play at all, but are spouses of or other  family
members of players.

Much of the playing in the lobby and hallways (and outside) is  not
particularly of 'pro' quality...but is specifically promoted to  encourage people
of all ability levels to join in. SPAH people don't look down  on or
discriminate against anyone... the most exciting part for some of us is in  being
able to meet and mingle with our harmonica heroes, and sometimes  finding
ourselves standing next to them while they play in an ordinary  hallway 'jam'.
'Listening with big ears' is of course one of the most important  things to
do, especially at one's first Convention. We all did  it.

... And just for the record, this most recent 'thread' has absolutely  no
bearing on SPAH...Smokey Joe Leone (Smo-Joe) is being a bit misunderstood by
some people who should know better, especially since many of those same
people  vigorously defended the idea of competition and open criticism of other
players'  videos on harp-l over the last several years.  I've known him to
be  one of those always patiently willing to help a 'newbie' with tips and
information in emails or at any convention and is usually recognized at a
Festival by the entourage surrounding him.  But he will express his  thoughts
honestly, and his opinion is as valid as anyone  else's here.

Elizabeth

>From SPAH's home page:

"Welcome to SPAH

spah.org was created to support our mission and to support  harmonica
musicians and harmonica vendors throughout the world. Well will  do this by
communicating with the harmonica community about our  organization, other
harmonica organizations, events, websites and other  information about harmonicas,
harmonica players and harmonica music.
We want to inform everyone about the rich heritage of harmonica music,  the
many talented musicians currently making music with this phenomenal
instrument, and the great pleasure to be derived from learning to play the
harmonica.
The Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica, know  as
SPAH, is an international non-profit organization incorporated in the
State of Michigan in 1963 by a small group of visionary harmonica  enthusiasts
who were passionate about the instrument and about its  relevance to
contemporary and future music .
Our members, who hail from the far reaches of the globe, span the full
spectrum of ability from **newly minted beginners (emphasis  added) to the best
harmonica players in the world. Our musicians play  all styles and music
and types of harmonicas.
Thinking Music? Think Harmoncia! Think SPAH. Harmonica happens  here!"
"Message: 5