Re: [Harp-L] Butter TV spot

So far, no one has been able to elucidate in what way Butterfield was
elusive.

Simply stating your opinion that he was innovative, doesn't cut it. It just
means that you want folks to know that you personally dig Butterfield, but
it doesn't cast any light on the assertion that he was groundbreaking.

No one was playing harp like that
> when PB emerged. His technique was powerful and HE DIDN"T PLAY A
> HARMONICA LIKE IT WAS A HARMONICA. He was the first to approach the
> instrument like that. And there is great emotion in his playing.

So how did he play it? I'd be very grateful if you could explain what you
mean in this post, as it remains unclear to me. If you mean no one was
playing arpeggiated licks that were on the beat, then I would agree that
many of the top harp guys weren't interested in doing that. That's a rock or
country thing. But I can't personally accept that such technique was
innovative amongst bluesmen. To me it's more retrograde. I'm genuinely
interested in someone explaining what they MEAN, rather than expressing what
they FEEL.