[Harp-L] Re: Butter

Glad the thread is still going.

Butter, like most of us was a closet jazz musician. We just play blues because it's the closet thing to
playing jazz on diatonic without playing overblows. Also blues is harmonica friendly.

Butter was going to jazz clubs on a regular basis in his teens.
That's where my friend got to know him. He knew Butter was underaged but let him
in the club anyway. Herbie Hancock was in his teens as well and my buddy use to let him in too.

Like a lot of young jazz and blues artists your first recordings are tributes to the masters of the past then by the 3 lp/cd you start to
bring out your own sound and show where you stand on your instrument.

It was frowned upon for Chicago harp players at the time to copy another person's sound or technique in order to steal shows. You learn first from
previous players but you better get your own sound quick. I'm sure Butter knew this and it only made it easier for him to want to phrase more like horn players
rather then harp players.

Butter was listening to bebop jazz players but playing harp players songs at the time. That's why, IMHO, why he could record LW tunes without imitating LW and getting is
butt kicked. He didn't travel the southern country blues route to Chicago. He WAS Chicago rooted at the time. Full of hard playing jazz innovators that pushed the limits in their solos.
I think his sound was more representative of actual home grown Chicagoan then the guys that came up from the south and plugged in.

I guess that is why there is a divide among diatonic players. Either you lean toward the died in the wool Chicago sound on harp which has it's roots in folk blues, or you
have a taste for more progressive exploration in your style and Butterfield leads the pack with those types of players. Check out Harps and Heavy Breathers for player influences.
Butter's name comes up a lot whether the player is into blue, jazz or country style. Butter was the alternative to the electric country blues sound.

For some that may think he is a busy player that is far from the truth. His fast solos actually make sense compared to some players I hear today that are known for their speed.
There was always a climax in his soloing. And if you listen closely there are breaks in his phrasings that are built upon each other, not just a bunch of scales ripped up and down the harp. I think Jason Ricci is one of the few speed demons that understands that concept. He doesn't play fast just to play fast. He builds upon each phrase and the solos take you somewhere emotionally.

Also, Butter's slow playing made sense. He could do fills behind other singers with just a few notes but make it powerful as hell with his vibrato. After 37 years of playing I finally mastered what he learned in his 20's. Most of the songs my bandmates pick are guitar based with no harp. I have to create harp fills. Rather then play busy with a lot of chords and notes, distracting the vocals, I play a few notes or a single note with heavy vibrato using bends in the process. This adds power to the fills while leaving the guitar players to add their own chord work or single note phrases.

Like Butterfiled I also went to jazz clubs in my teens. I spent 5 to 6 nights a week in a Hotel jazz bar when I was 19 while playing in a rock band. A closet jazz player.
While I did play sax at the time I had to give it up due to serious asthma problems. My approach to playing the harp though is a lot like a trumpet player or Butterfield.

There is the Little Walter school of Chicago sound and the Butterfield school of Chicago sound. Both are great and should be honored.
If you can accept and utilize both styles it will only broaden your abilities as a musician to play across genres.

Happy Festivus:)

Mike