Re: [Harp-L] Re: Amp overkill

I've been playing blues harp since 1961, and chrom since 1956. Back in  1961,
I used a 4 Watt Selmar Little Giant. A bit like a Fender  Champ. Our pa
system then was a Vox 50 Watt with two 4 x 10" columns. Our  vocal mics back then
were Reslo ribbon mics.. Back in those days there was  no question of "line
out"... Throughout the 1960's guitar amps went up from five  to fifteen or even
to thirty Watt Vox AC30s...  However by  1968 my 2 guitarists both had 200 Watt
tube Marshall or Sound City  "Stacks"... In 1971, my PA was a Sound City 120
Watt "Mark Four".. With two 4 x  12" column cabs...
Again, back then I never considered "micing" my harp amp.
Times have changed.
40 years later, most "pro" bands have a full time "sound guy" and a pa with
from one to three Kilo Watts!
Even with a heavy metal guitarist, when I use a miced 40 watt  harmonica amp,
the sound in the theatre can be great.
It's great to be still playing harp in 2009!
We now have the technology to create the sound we want to get.
Big amp? Fine... (Apart from feedback)
Small amp, through the sound board, fine too!
Different strokes for different folks.
Use whatever works for you, the musician.
"There are many roads to Jerusalem"
John Walden
London
England