To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Charlie McCoy and the Nashville Number System

According to Chas Williams, author of the book "The Nashville Number System,"

http://nashvillenumbersystem.com/

Neil Matthews, developed the Nashville Number System for the Jordanaires to use in the studio, and Charlie was an early adopter who came up with some extensions. This overlaps with PT Gazell's statement.

The oral accounts from Charlie's band members that you cite are statements of belief by informants who may or may not have accurate knowledge, even if they are Nashville session guys. They may have come on the scene after the fact and formed an impression that, while sincere, may or may not be accurate. Given Charlie's significant involvement in its development, they may easily have formed the impression that he invented the system. Calling them the horse's mouth is an overstatement. The real horse's mouth, at least as regards Charlie's individual involvement, is Charlie himself.

Other websites refer to the "evolution" of the system, indicating that several individuals may have been involved in the development of the system as it is now known. Charlie may well be among this group.

Third-party attestations, especially when they seem attractive (for instance, when they affirm an cherished belief or lend glory to a valued individual), must be treated skeptically and evaluated with care.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa