[Harp-L] Re: New Answers to an Old Problem

One less expensive solution to the Kinder AFB unit is to put a guitar
EQ box/pedal in your chain in front of your amp.  This lets you dial
down the offending frequencies (usually around 1000 Hz).  This is not
an automatic control like the AFB.  My experience has been that I only
need to tweak one or two bands on the pedal and then I'm set for the
night.

I use a MXR 10 band EQ pedal (on-line for around $100-$120).  This is
a well built unit (in an all-metal cast box) that includes its own
gain and volume control as well as a "true" bypass foot switch.  So
not only does this let you isolate the frequency band(s) driving the
feedback but you also can do a bit more tone shaping than with the 2
or 3 tone knobs that your amp provides.

I have a DanEcho delay pedal sitting in front of the EQ pedal which
warms up the tone and provides a bit of wet slapback and big room feel
for small venues.  What has worked out really cool for me with this
set up is that it has given me a nice "ampless" solution for my weekly
band practices and small venues when I just play directly into the
PA.  My back has thanked me!  This setup provides a bit cleaner sound
than when playing through my tube amp but the gain control on the EQ
lets you crunch it up a bit and then the volume control can be set as
desired.  The LED's on the pedal will blink if you have set gain or
volume too high and are getting clipping.  At several performances I
have had harp players from the audience compliment my tone and ask me
about my amp when only playing through these pedals into the PA.

I know you said that in your case this time there was not an available
PA input for you, so the above is perhaps more info than you need, but
the EQ pedal does work great for feedback elimination in front of an
amp.

Finally, I have to give credit to Richard Hunter for giving me this
suggestion, and as always he was right on the mark.  He might also
suggest that for less investment you could do the same things (plus
much more) by using a DigiTech RP200 (or other model).

Glenn.