[Harp-L] RP250 patch set enters beta testing

Hi all,

I've completed the initial beta test version of my new patch set for the Digitech RP250, and beta testing will begin this week.  While the testers are having fun with the set, I'll be working on documentation.  The full set, with a user guide, should be debugged and ready for prime time by the end of February.

The set now contains 20 patches for the Shure 545 mic, 15 for the Audix Fireball V, 15 for the Bottle o' Blues, and 10 for the Astatic JT-30.  The various mic sets do not contain identical patches, because some amp models and effects don't work as well with one mic as they do with another.  All 4 sets contain basic blues and rock harp patches with reverb and delay setups, and all 4 contain variations on these patches with octave down pitch shift effects, which is something that sounds great with almost any mic. All four sets also include at least one or two patches designed to produce a clean sound with delay and/or reverb, and the 545 and Fireball sets include clean sounds with various modulation effects like chorus and flange.  (It should go without saying that the 545 and Fireball sound a lot better playing clean sounds than the Astatic and BoB do.) Finally, because rotary (Leslie) speaker effects are a frequent topic of discussion on this forum, all four sets include at least one patch that uses a rotary speaker effect.

The set will be priced at $25.00, and I will announce availability and take orders as soon as it's ready.  The price includes free updates for any additions or changes I make to patches designed for the four microphones included in the initial set; patches designed for microphones not included in the initial set will be sold separately.  (RP150 and RP350 owners should note that Digitech offers a free utility program to convert patches between the RP150, 250, and 350, so this set is usable in those devices too.)  I will not accept advance orders, but if you'd like to be notified when the set is available, please let me know.

Digitech RP200 owners who have purchased my patch set for that device can rest assured that the RP200 is still a very viable instrument. I still use mine for recording and performance, and I intend to keep it in my stage rig until it dies. (Given that I own 3 RP200s, that should take a while.  Actually, what I plan to do is buy an A/B/Y splitter box so I can run my RP200 and RP250 in parallel, which among other things will allow me to do what a POG does--duplicate a note in multiple octaves simultaneously)--without spending $300+ for a POG.)

All that said, I'm very pleased with the sound of the RP250, it's certainly a lot more convenient than the RP200 in terms of loading new patches in, and I'm glad to be moving closer to release of this patch set.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter