Re: [Harp-L] Country tuning

There is only one book that is considered the Encyclopedia of the Harmonica
because contains biographies as well as interviews with players.

It's a good place to start for an account of the Charlie McCoy "country
tuning" story.

"Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers" was copyrighted in 1993 and at least
once revised edition (with a different cover) has been published. I have both
editions and I have no idea what was changed in the second edition other than
adding death dates for those who died.

On page 147, Charlie says he learned about what is now called "country
tuning" from Duane Parker ("older gentleman") of Watertown New York who told
Charlie:
     "I played chromatic all my life until I heard your (Charlie's) records.
I've got your albums and I'm trying to learn. But there's one song I'm really
having problems with--Danny Boy."
     Now my (Charlie's) curiosity is up, but I'm not saying anything.
     "The only way you could have done this song is to have tuned the fifth
reed up." Parker says.
     He (Parker) pulled out a harp with the fifth reed tuned up and played
the song and said.
     "That's the way you done it, isn't it?"
     And I (Charlie) said, "No, but that's the way I'm gonna do it from now
on."
     What I (Charlie) had done in the studio was use different harps   for
the verse and chorus.

This incident is not dated in the book; so I don't know when the story
happened. But Parker was still around when the first edition of "Heavy Breathers"
came out.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect Parker's experience with the chromatic
harmonica led him to the discovery of how and which reed to retune. Danny Boy
would be playable on the chromatic, why not the diatonic? What was different?
And how could he fix it?

MORE CONFUSION: Like overblows, (Don Les, among others in the 30s) the real
origin of "country tuning" is probably lost to time. Anyone who knows the
basics of chord progressions could have come up with the Magic Dick tunings. A
piano player or guitarist. Just like my Seydel factory-built 12-hole C7 and G7
chromatics--the 7th chord is my favorite chord (piano 1st, guitar 2nd). If Pat
Missin has it listed on his exhaustive and complete collection of harp tunings
I've never been able to find it. But the piano is in my living room -- and I've
been playing that chord for 50 years.

REMEMBER, just because the wheel has already been invented doesn't mean that
somebody else didn't invent it at the same time or subsequently.

By the way, if you don't own a copy of "Harps and Heavy Breathers," it could
be one of the most fascinating purchases you make this year.

(Slight paraphrase of attribution; quotes verbatim.)