R: [Harp-L] Fear Busting

I agree with all the things Richard has written. The secret is enjoy the music. You can enjoy the music only if you listen. And when you listen try to understand the sound and the silence and try to play the silence before. Play the silence doesn't mean: "try to play INTO the silence".

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] Per conto di Richard Hunter
Inviato: Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:18 PM
A: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Oggetto: Re: [Harp-L] Fear Busting

IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:
<In a message dated 2/7/2009 12:58:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
<cdgaldos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<
<How did  you lose your fear of being on stage ?
<Experience

I am reminded of the old saying: good judgement is the result of experience.  Experience is the result of bad judgement.

I have two rules that I abide by in a jam session:

1) As one pro said to me in my early days after I nearly wrecked a jam session: Listen, listen, listen.  A lot of amateurs think it's about how well you play.  It's really about how well you listen.

2) Don't play unless you know you can play something that will make the entire band sound better. If you don't know how to make the band sound better, don't play.  If you want to know how to make the band sound better: listen, listen, listen.

When you try to make yourself sound good above all else, you make enemies.  (I've seen it over and over.)  When you try to make the whole band sound better, you make friends, and you make yourself a welcome guest.

Regards, Richard Hunter