Re: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica

Bill Otten wrote:
There was a player from a band called Blues Traveller who shall go unnamed
here in order to avoid resurrecting THAT old argument, but I think that
player was responsible for this speed nonsense.
one of the first harp pieces that really floored me, way back
in the 70's, was Charlie McCoy's take on "orange blossom special".
i'd guess that'd rate as fast in most people's estimation, yet it was
just right.  i agree with richard, you play what suits the music.

as it happened, a few years later (1982) we were auditioning bands
for our wedding, and found one with a harp player that could play
"orange blossom special" just like charlie. fast, but not too fast. we hired them on the spot. they played that song at our wedding
reception. only discovered a year or so ago that
the harp player was none other than rob paparozzi. go figure.

as for popper, he had a sound that fit his music, and it worked.
no problem there.