Re: [Harp-L] Country tuning

In answer to the Trivia Question of the Week: Yes, "Heavy Breathers" was
trimmed. Kim (not they) did the trimming, as I recall. I know because Kim  Field
(the author) told me so. I asked him what got left out and offered to  publish
it in American Harmonic Newsmagazine. But he assured me it was simply  "word
trimming" (my term here, but I don't hold the trademark). Buy a  copy of
"Heavy Breathers" if you don't own one!

I think there about 6 people on the list in the newspaper business -- in  one
way or the other. Newspaper stories rarely ever run the length they are
written -- unless a writer is given a word count. Nowadays, the type can be
kerned (space between letters, space between words decreased) so that the type
fits on the page. Failing that, words have to be cut. And there is nothing that
can't be trimmed. Most of the time the writer can't even tell -- if it's done
right. (Oh, and nobody ever yells: Stop the presses! The presses stop all the
 time -- when the paper web breaks, when the paper runs out, and inbetween
the  different editions.)

I used QuarkXpress for PC when I produced my pages for AHN because I could
"kern" an article to make it fit on one page. It works both ways. I always
liked  to keep the stories one page long or to fill full pages (after the photos
and  headlines). So with the kerning process it is possible to "stretch" the
type by  increasing the letter and word spacing.

I bought a copy when Winslow's book came out. I will repeat my original
statement at that time: If you CARE about the harmonica, Go buy a  copy. If you
belong to a harmonica club, don't cheap it out and buy ONE  copy and pass it
around. Make it a club project to buy a copy for every member.  Put your money
where your mouth is, to coin a cliche.

A famous writer once apologized for writing a long letter-- because he
didn't have time to write a short one.

Don't worry about who or what got left out; enjoy what is there.

In regards to editing copy (text); the trade is called copy editing. I once
worked with a guy (in my 30+ years as a copy editor at The Detroit News) who
claimed he could word-trim the Lord's Prayer down to 10* words. (*any number
will do).

But don't worry about what is or is not there.

Winslow can put it in his next book.

Hope this clears things up,
Phil

In a message dated 2/8/2009 6:29:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

On  Feb 8, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Philharpn@xxxxxxx wrote:

> There is only  one book that is considered the Encyclopedia of the
> Harmonica  because contains biographies as well as interviews with
>  players.

BUT...did they pare down the pages?     lol

> It's a good place to start for an account of the Charlie  McCoy
> "country tuning" story.

I haven't read the book.  The day I was going to measure Jerry's
(Murad's) roof for new  shingles, he died and I never borrowed his
copy. Besides, I'm really  not too much into biographies. Mostly
because of the very things  that happen here on harp-l. Too much heresay.

> "Harmonicas,  Harps, and Heavy Breathers" was copyrighted in 1993
> and at  least once revised edition (with a different cover) has been
>  published. I have both editions and I have no idea what was changed
> in the second edition other than adding death dates for those  who
> died.

I'm sure it's a good book.

> On  page 147, Charlie says he learned about what is now called
>  "country tuning" from Duane Parker ("older gentleman") of Watertown
> New York who told Charlie:

Yeah, the name Duane Parker does  ring a bell.

>      "I played chromatic all my  life

See, HE played chromo too.

> until I heard your  (Charlie's) records. I've got your albums and
> I'm trying to  learn. But there's one song I'm really having
> problems  with--Danny Boy."

I call that one Londonderry  Air.

>      Now my (Charlie's) curiosity is up,  but I'm not saying anything.

Shows how smart HE is.   lol

>      "The only way you could have done this  song is to have tuned
> the fifth reed up." Parker  says.
>      He (Parker) pulled out a harp with the fifth  reed tuned up and
> played the song and said.
>   "That's the way you done it, isn't it?"

Very similar to  what I did.

>      And I (Charlie) said, "No, but  that's the way I'm gonna do it
> from now on."
>   What I (Charlie) had done in the studio was use different
> harps  for the verse and chorus.

Exactly.

>  This incident is not dated in the book;

How unfortunate. I wish it had  been. I wish James Riddle was still
alive. He might have remembered  Christmas of 75.

> so I don't know when the story happened. But  Parker was still
> around when the first edition of "Heavy  Breathers" came out
>
>  I don't know for a fact, but I  suspect Parker's experience with
> the chromatic harmonica led  him to the discovery of how and which
> reed to retune. Danny Boy  would be playable on the chromatic, why
> not the diatonic? What  was different? And how could he fix it?

What is different is that the  diatonic has no black keys
(figuratively) and is even missing white  ones. So switching keys is a
problem. Instead of using (for example)  a D crossed and then an A
straight for Danny Boy, my method allows  one harp to do it all.

>  MORE CONFUSION: Like overblows,  (Don Les, among others in the 30s)

Don Les does an overblow on  'Impossible Dream" and I believe he had
done it a whole bunch of  years ago. BUT, he also finnigled with the
reeds now and again.  Occasionally having a harp tuned for just one
specific  tune.

> the real origin of "country tuning" is probably lost to  time.

Yes, I think so too, and the only reason I ever brought it up  was
because a couple years ago, I made mention of the fact that I  had
done this and now they sell them this way. I suppose it got  blown out
of proportion and it was made as if I was trying to come  off as some
sort of Einstein. I don't happen to be into modes and  couldn't begin
to tell you the difference between a Carthaginian and  a Fridgedarian
mode. I play mostly 2nd and 5th positions. Sometimes  I play a
position and don't know WHAT it is. I'm just a broken down  old
trumpet player.

sMo-Joe