Subject: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica

"There was a player from a band called Blues Traveller who shall go  unnamed
here in order to avoid resurrecting THAT old argument, but I think  that
player was responsible for this speed nonsense. 'Nuff said about that.

bill otten"

Bill...this part of your post about 'scary fast playing' is  probably
true..at least for the younger generation who came along during  Blues Travellers'
hey day and afterwards....But then, some of that same  generation also uses the
harp as a 'beat box' instrument. Not  sure which I'd prefer.<G>

But you can't possibly blame (or thank.. depending on one's outlook?)  John
Popper  - what the heck...I'm naming him....for having had any  influence on
those fast players of generations preceding or running in  conjunction with his.

Better question is..why did Popper himself decide to play fast or who was
HIS influence for fast playing?  I'd warrant that he wanted  to play up to a
guitar (rather than saxes or other horns).

And yes, there surely are people who play fast with no feeling (or tone)
perhaps because they purely want to emulate someone like Popper, but methinks
it's more to do with the novelty of it...or getting into the Guinness Book of
World Records (there really is some guy in there (and on YouTube) listed as
'world's fastest player').

... but there are also harmonicists who play fast with amazing runs  which
all lead 'somewhere' because they are innately wonderful musicians.  Perfect
example is someone who's been discussed a lot here and if his playing is
actually HEARD by anyone who listens 'with big ears' tossing out all  preconceived
ideas  ....it's astonishing just how much will be found within  some of his
'fast' runs.  I've been in the audience when there is a usually  delayed
reaction...with people 'yeah'!-ing and unable to contain their  enthusiastic reaction
and applause for something they've just heard that was so  blindingly brilliant
their ear didn't catch it until it had already passed.  True, it might not be
for everyone (although I haven't yet met anyone in  person - harmonica player
or not - who didn't thrill to his playing once  they'd seen him Live and want
to come back again) ...but it's dazzling and  innovative and just sheer magic
99% of the time.

Blues and/or Blues Rock is also not remotely the only 'fast' harmonica
playing. Aren't you omitting Bluegrass, Country and Irish music (among  other
genres)?

**I've just read what Richard Hunter had to say on this thread and he's on
the nose with the idea of 'why not' ...if that's what a player wants to do?
That's been my take on musicians and music in general for a long while...I don't
 play like anyone else I know..and so far no one's given me a good  enough
reason why I should. Why can't I play just how I want to..especially  since I'm
an individual with thoughts and ideas of my own. I certainly  think for
myself, so why can't I play as I'd like on the instruments of my  choice and by ear
(something I take some flack for from chromatic purists since  I prefer to
play different keyed chroms instead of everything on one C  chromatic...which I
liken to diatonic players owning harps in several different  keys.)

I truly don't understand why we can't all agree to disagree...that one
musician's style ain't necessarily another's cup of tea.  What's wrong  with simply
living and let living when it comes to music styles?   Is it because it IS
the harmonica? Do musicians on sites devoted to other  instruments do this too?
Do guitarists look at YouTubes of youngsters who're  starting out or in some
band and hate the way they play because their sound  is dissonant or they play
'too fast'...or listen to those who want to play  like Hendrix...saying
players should stick to Clapton style guitar?  I've  no idea so am asking...

..why do harmonica players seem to feel this need to be so protective of
their particular style of instrument playing?  Is it because harmonica has  been
so 'dissed' by the musical world in general?

 I'm asking sincerely, because occasionally I find myself feeling that  same
protectiveness of 'our' instrument as well, and I don't really understand
what lies behind it. I certainly didn't feel this way before joining harmonica
lists and going to SPAH....so perhaps it's a natural offshoot of this
'gathering  together'?

Regards,

Elizabeth

steps!