Re: [Harp-L] tempo

I think you neglected to mention "sincerity." Which is essential for show
business and public performance. Because once you can fake that, you've got it
made. And I'm not being disingenuous here.

Tempo does not intrinsically indicate the "emotion" of the music. Take  the
Glenn Miller, Nat King Cole, Beyonce tune: "At Last." That certainly is a
depressing song -- but only if the lyrics are ignored: "At last, my love  has come
along...."

"Keep A Knocking" by Little Richard: "Keep a knocking but you can't  come in,
... come back tomorrow night and try again..." That's a kiss-off love  song:
and it romps right along.  "I Heard it from the Grapevine" is an up  tempo
soul song -- bad news, his girl plans to dump him, but the tune rocks  right
along.

As far as the Italian terms for tempo, their meaning is better explained by
a metronome marking. Outside of the classical world, most tempo markings today
 are in English. I think I once even saw a "tempo de ragtime" on a tune.
Today's  music might be marked "brisk" --not "happy brisk."

Today those tempo term are:
largo ... very slow and broad
lento ... slow
andante ... moderate graceful tempo
presto ... very fast

What does this prove? Nothing. Tempus fugit
hope this helps

Phil

In a message dated 2/9/2009 9:57:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,