Re: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica

I'm 100 % behind you.

abner
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Otten
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:53 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica

  Here's a video of scary fast harmonica playing, I'd have to agree with the
  comments made regarding "why do I have to play so fast", and "all it proves
  is that you've practiced "learning to play scary fast". Here's the clip:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONNaVbNve4w and if you're impressed with it,
  then fine. And if you're the person on the video and you're on this list, no
  personal attack intended, it's just personally, it isn't my style. A few
  notes with real feeling go further than playing all the notes with none.
  Getting back to my list of Thelonius Monk-ism's :

  1)Stop playing all those bullshit notes.

  2)Don't play everything, let some things go by.

  3)Some music is just imagined.

  4)What you don't play can be more important than what you do play.

  5)A note can be as small as a pin or as big as the world, it depends on your
  imagination.

  6)Always leave them wanting more.

  There was a player from a band called Blues Traveller who shall go unnamed
  here in order to avoid resurrecting THAT old argument, but I think that
  player was responsible for this speed nonsense. 'Nuff said about that.

  bill otten