Re: [Harp-L] Re: fast playing

I must confess: I just don`t understand why some people here have
problems with fast harmonica playing.

Fast playing belongs to all kinds of music all over the world, fast
playing is also required for any instrument. Fast playing is not the
invention of some crazy young rock musicians, no, it`s there since music
is there.

Ever been to a classicel flute concert or to a jazz concert? Ever been
listening to different original folk music from different countries?

Ever tried to play a standard like Oleo?

Listen to chromatic harmonica player Franz Chmel from Austria who plays
classical music, mostly music originally written for other instruments,
not the harmonica. And he can play it as fast as the composer has
written down. Is he a bad player with a bad tone?

Many harmonica players do complain that our instrument is not well
accepted. Not taken serious. Fast playing is part of music and therefore
each harmonica player should be able to do it.

Marc Molino schrieb:

Actually, I've yet to hear anyone mention a time when they heard
someone playing too slow or not enough notes--any examples of this?

Yes, just a few weeks ago someone posted here on harp-l:

Today's Lesson is about style and delivery rather than technique.
ÂPlease note the use of "space" and the importance of not playing a
million notes.

Indeed this video of Junior Wells (unfortunately removed now on youtube) is a good example for what the poster had written. A GOOD LESSON.

BUT: it`s a video from a tv show , where the band plays one song with only one solo part: the harmonica. And then the soloist plays nothing else then a few notes over two chorusses, exchangeable for every 12 bar blues. That is not what I want to hear during a harmonica solo. A BAD PERFORMANCE.

just my 2 eurocents.

Greetings,

Otto