Re: [Harp-L] Re: fast playing

The only thing that bugs me about scary fast harp is that I can't do it. Of course I don't do anything fast,(ask my wife about painting the kitchen)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chesper Nevins" <chespernevins@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Marc Molino" <mmolino54@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: fast playing

Actually, I've yet to hear anyone mention a time when they heard someone playing too slow or not enough notes--any examples of this?

With regards to playing jazz - which is not the only style represented here I know - I find it difficult if not impossible to NOT get into playing fast at some point. I am on board with wanting to play tastefully and soulfully. But even if one can be extremely clever about using half time, over-the-beat poly rhythms, or a soulful moan a la Ray Charles, it's tough to get away from playing fast at some point.

If you play all kind of wonderful rhythmic jabs, bends with incredible
tone, etc, but you never play lines, show that you can play the
changes, or just plain swing (this could mean different things to
different people) at some point during the evening, it just won't be
jazz (at least to my ears).  Maybe I am over simplifying the
definition of jazz here to make a point, but...

So if tone is sacrificed at the moment of playing fast during a solo
(fast for me, anyway), well, it's just gonna happen because it has to
at certain points in the music.

Sometimes the inventiveness of the moment comes before perfect
technique, even with players who already have mastered phenomenal
technique.  (For example, John Coltrane)

That said, I am always trying to produce a better tone. :)

--
See the website I put together for Bill Romel:
http://harmonica-workshop.com

http://myspace.com/jasonharmonica