Re: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica - uhhhh

On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:06pm, Rick Dempster wrote:
Glad you said it first Winslow. Just old hillbilly tongue slap, fox chasey stuff; and not even particularly fast. Scary? What are people listening to?
RD

Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 12/02/2009 2:48 >>>
I gotta say, this so-called "best harmonica player" ...
The guy who did it may have just been jamming casually (on a train? in a bus?) and may not be responsible for the Youtube presentation

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

After following this thread for the week or so that it's been going, I finally looked at the clip.
And I said to myself, Hey, that's Griff.

Note that neither label -- the 'best in the world' nor 'scary fast playing' -- is his, and this is just something somebody captured on the bus.

Griff's act is worth seeing for harmonica in a different context. It's something like a hip-hop, beat box, beatnik thing (I think. I don't know much about hip-hop, beat box or beatiks). Griff also does alt country just dandy with Kung Fu Diesel. And he has shown some real chops at Lansing's Green Door, trading phrases with Andy Wilson (a fine player from Michigan whom some of you may know from SPAH appearances).

Bill Richards
harp-l lurker

http://myspace.com/willierange