[Harp-L] This harp or that harp? Observations

You may remember my post concerning the problems I recently had concerning Bushman. A recent post on alt.music.harmonica on Usenet regarding Harp Depot closing out Bushman products would indicate that I was not the only one having supply problems with that Bushman. But this post is not meant to belabor that point.

Because of the aforementioned problems I had to switch the harps I play. After some 15 months of playing the Delta Frost harps and now being in a group it was time to change harps to a dependable source. After trying two or three different harps I chose the Seydel 1847 classic (stainless steel reeds and wood comb). I now have 6 of those harps. I started with the purchase of one (key of "A") and played that a while. It took a bit of time to get accustomed to the spacing of the holes (it is a little wider than the DFs) but it didn't take any more time than to blow a half dozen notes to love the tone.

Last night I played one of our local open mic blues jams. The first three or four tunes were in keys covered by my 1847's, but about mid-set they played a tune in which I had to use my "E" DF harp. It only took about the first two bars for me to realize how accustomed to the 1847s I had become in just two or three weeks. I really like the smooth mouth-feel of the Seydels as well as their tone and playability, but beyond that I was surprised at how much I had adapted my pucker to match the Seydels and how foreign the DF felt. It didn't take long for me to adjust back to the DF, but the tonal difference was striking to my ears through the entire song.

I don't sell harmonicas, so the point is not profit driven. Mainly, I wanted to share the story for the benefit of newer players that, like changing underwear, you will get used to a new harmonica, so don't be afraid of trying something different in search of a better sound or a harp that better matches your style.

        From Randy G.
  Live to Play  -  Play to Live
http://www.myspace.com/RandyGBlues
http://www.myspace.com/PhatBoyzBlue