  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; jevern@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:23 PM
  Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] HARMONICA PLAYING Arabian nights Belly dance music!!!!

  Before making assumptions about ANYone's playing and of harmonica specifically, especially when it comes to YouTube videos where the music is notoriously out of sync with the actual playing in so many instances, I tend to seek out a Live performance by the same artist.

  I found one for this same player Ashok Bhandari (it's stated as having been done during a performance in the USSR from 1990):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJafvhfycPM

  Since Vern makes a point that music is 'only mentioned once' in the man's website,  during that performance he plays his harmonica for an extraordinarily long time for someone whose music is purportedly 'only a sideline'.

  I also took the time to read comments on some of his videos, where people who know him congratulate him for focusing more now on his true calling... harmonica playing.

  And just to cinch it, I found a blogspot by a long time old friend of his who specifies that Mr. Bharani is one of those people who make a point of 'outing' the 'fake magicians' ...and also talks about his harmonica playing. A simple google search took me here:

  http://harmonicaclubofgujarat.blogspot.com/2008/08/magician-who-plays-mouth-organ-ashok.html

  here it is in tiny url form:

  http://tinyurl.com/deonq8

  Decide for yourself if this guy is the real deal or not.  I believe he's as decent a chromatic player as he shows himself to be, especially since his version of Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago has quite a few flubs in it...something surely a charlatan would have managed to avoid?

  Isn't there also the possibility he recorded himself playing first and then played over it for the video?  After all, there are no 'rules' in YouTube that every performance has to be played Live into the computer...that isn't how music videos are made, nor how those people post their music who are multi-instrumentalists who have to do over-dubs.

  I agree with you Randy, the belly dancing playing was GREAT!  He also has an original composition up on YouTube (audio only) which is quite beautiful).

  Elizabeth

  "Message: 12