Re: [Harp-L] World's fastest harmonica player ??? -- correction

On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Philharpn@xxxxxxx wrote:

Blackie actually played the "Hora Staccato." "The Flight of the
Bumblebee" falls into that category of songs that have been sped up and boogied and
rocked for many years on the piano -- with the object of who can play the
fastest rendition.

The for that selection is that the "semi-classical" repertoire back in the
day was considered part of the general popular music repertoire -- not really
longhair Classical but not quite Tin Pan Alley popular. But the semi-classical
was performed enough in public so that the public was generally familiar with
it.

For the fiddle, Orange Blossom Special is a favorite.

For the ragtime pianist, Maple Leaf Rag will suffice.

For accordion. Lady of Spain

For trumpet, Carnival in Venice

For double bass, Big noise from Wanetka

"Alan Schackner Harmonica Virtuoso
can play the famous violin solo
"Hora Staccato"
- a total of 1,096 notes -
in 90 seconds!"

Check out the original Believe or Not illustration:

Too bad they don't mention the year on that clipping, but I remember it from the newspapers. Must have been the mid 50s. Alan Blackie Schackner was the first harmonicist I saw LIVE. He (and Leo Diamond records) are the reason I play chromo today.

It was right before Christmas 1951. My sister Suzanne was entered in the Duncan yo-yo tourney at the Roxy theater. Sue was 13 and I was only 9. She dragged me along for support. Pretty convenient when you consider that 'I' was the one with the money. There were 21 cartoons, then a stage show, then the contest, then the movie.

Mr Schackner was featured. He blew my socks off. I was in love. In love with harp. I still love harp.

smo-joe

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Believe+or+Not +Schackner&page=1&qsrc=2417&zoom=&ab=0&
u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bassharp.com%2Fbsbelieve.htm

Hope this helps,