Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Content, Meta-Content

Derwood,

I respectfully disagree with your statement. I have been reading just about everything that I find interesting on harp-l for about two years. I feel that vast majority of the reviews of players work has been supportive and criticisms have been for the most part worded positively.
In the arts in general, critiques of performances are the norm, movies, theater, concerts, sporting events ect.etc. All public performances are out there for critique. Now matter how the criticism is worded, a performer can and should use that as a tool for improvement.

On Harp-l, to think that players of the caliber that regularly contribute would spend a few minutes of their time listening and writing about what they hear is a valuable tool for all of us and at all levels. And not just the pro players, we all love the instrument and a lesson can be learned from anybody.

Here is a link to my bands web site: http://www.myspace.com/jblaketheearthquake

Please, any one that has a few minutes let me know what you think. Don't hold anything back. How's my phrasing? my timing? an I doing enough with the fills or too much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
George

-----Original Message----- From: Derwood <derwood.blues@xxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 9:43 am Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonica Content, Meta-Content

OK, here I go again. I promise to drop this subject after this rant for at
least one more month. This list is about harmonica stuff. I play harmonica,
you play harmonica. But I get tired of the "harmonica related" items that
are about how so and so does not respect the harmonica because he plays in a
way that does not please me or acts in a public way that does not please me.
In my opinion this kind of disrespecting does not promote the harmonica. It
is exclusive rather than inclusive. I would suggest that to have a dialogue
that is inclusive we need to do less talking about who is not a "real"
harmonica player and talk more about harmonica in a humble, respectful way.
Honestly I am currently unwilling to put any recording of myself out there
on this list because I assume I will get more destructive criticism than
constructive criticism. I know I am not alone; I hear from many everytime a
say this stuff. And I know that some of you are thinking that I am,
therefore, not serious about harmonica and/or am not tough enough to face
reality. But I guess I believe that people deserve to be honored and
respected. We need a little less "speaking the truth" and a little more
"speaking the truth in love".

Or maybe I am trying to be included in the wrong group.

Derwood