[Harp-L] Re: Charlie's harps

Tony wrote:

Steve. If you think you're done with this story then you are sadly
mistaken. Could you let us know:

1) How you managed get in on a session with "The Man"?

2) What your feelings were when you found you did not have the right
instrument.

I'd met Charlie McCoy a couple of years earlier in London, when he was on tour with The United Steels of Europe, a band featuring 4 or 5 top pedal steel players including my friend Nils Tuxen, whom I knew from numerous studio sessions in Hamburg. In the break I interviewed Charlie for a Hohner magazine and he told me (among other things) the same account of how he came upon country tuning which has been repeated here. A few days later he was playing in Hamburg and I went along to the gig. Charlie asked me if I'd like to sit in with the band, but I didn't have any gear with me except for an SBS harp I'd just given him to try out, so he stuck it in my hand and picked up a guitar. He played some pretty cool blues guitar and I jammed with him and the band.

On the occasion of the session I mentioned in my earlier post, Charlie was again visiting Hamburg and had been booked to play on some stuff for a German producer in a studio belonging to another friend of mine literally 200 yards from where I lived. When it turned out that we all knew each other, my mate rang me up and asked me to join the session so they could record a number with both of us. It was all very relaxed and friendly and when we discovered the tune they wanted both of us to play on was in Eb I just laughed and said I didn't have a harp for 2nd position but could offer 1st. Charlie rummaged in his case and brought out the Vest Pocket Harp in Ab and suggested I play that. I was most touched by his generosity, not least because it was his work using high tuned harps on Steve Miller's "Number 5" album which had turned me on to his playing in the first place.

We subsequently met on a few occasions and he was always exceptionally friendly and pleasant. He once introduced me to Johnny Cash's brother Tommy with the words "This dog can hunt!". It really made my day.

I think anyone who's ever met Charlie will testify to his kindness and modesty, he's a true gentleman as well as a major pioneer of country harmonica,

Steve