Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic maintenance problem - have i done something silly?

It's more likely that the leak is due to a valve having fallen off. If you unscrew the reedplates from the comb, you can see whether the comb is cracked - possible but not all that likely. You can also see whether any valves - the plastic flaps over the reedslots on the opposite side of the plate from the reeds - have fallen off. You may even find the missing valve, which you can reattach with a tiny dab of glue on the very end of the valve.

Winslow Yerxa

--- On Sat, 2/21/09, Bill <bill.eborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Bill <bill.eborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Chromatic maintenance problem - have i done something silly?
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, February 21, 2009, 7:31 AM

I hope someone can help me with this

I bought a 14 hole Hering a couple of months ago and amaterish harp tech that i
am, after falling head over heels in love and playing it non-stop for a week,
the slide got a bit sticky, so I took the mouthpiece apart to clean it up a bit.
I was used to doing this, as it was continual problem on the Suzuki I had
previously.  The first thing that happened was that i stripped out the threads
in the wooden comb.  I managed to overcome this by carefully putting some
Araldite (epoxy resin) inside the screw hole and allowing it to dry, so that I
could get the screws to bite again.

When I put it back together again I found that, blowing on hole 5 on the 14
holer (for the G/Ab) I can't get a single note, it sounds as if the air is
leaking.  Initially I thought it might be a problem with my reassembling of the
four part slide mechanism but i took it apart again today and tried blowing into
the hole without the slide mechanism and found i had the same problem still.
Would i be right in diagnosing a cracked comb and if so what can i do?

Thanks in anticipation

Bill