[Harp-L] Best way to store/carry harps?

Deb,

FWIW, i carry and store my diatonic harps in 14 slot Flat Cumberland Custom cases made by Jeff Spoor. He makes these cases in various sizes. I also carry a spare set of the most used keys in a Lee Oskar soft case.

One problem, though, is there is nothing to stop the coverplates from being crushed if you step on or sit on the case (which is something one should try to avoid). One solution is to get a Cumberland Gig Case w/ Lid, which holds the harps sitting on their combs instead of the coverplates, so the coverplates are protected. These are also made in various sizes, but they are not quite as compact as the Flat cases

Another solution would be the hard cases made by Hal Iwan which are also sold by Cumberland, or by Hal at CustomHarpCases.com.

I don't usually play or carry a chrom, but these guys made cases for those too. I store my chroms in the hard cases they came in. Since i don't play them well or often, they sit for long periods of time but seem to be okay when i do pull them out.

Btw, i prefer to travel light, so I carry my performing set of 13 harps in a Cumberland 14 slot flat case, a spare set of the 7 or 8 most used keys in a Lee Oskar soft case, together with my mics and cords, all in a Meinl MSB 1 drum stick bag.

JP