[Harp-L] RE: Harp amps vs Guitar amps

Drew wrote the following re: harp amps vs guitar amps.

"From: Drew W <eviltweed@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Harp amps vs. Guitar amps

> Don't need to spend time and money trying to "Tweak" some guitar amp. as
> this is as close to perfect a Harp Amp as I have  tried.

If I can just insert an alternate view... I don't hold with the idea that
all guitar amps need tweaking to sounds PHENOMENAL for harp.

I am not knocking the custom harp amps. The Sonny amps and the Meteor sound
great for harp. They are great amps. (Am I clear on that?)

But if you know what you are doing and you have the right mic, there are
tons of amps that need no mods at all. No tube swaps or anything.

For example, here's my unmodded repro Pro, with four different mics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYlwSmRt98

So, not knocking your amp - good luck to you. Just saying that this idea
that a custom amp is the holy grail isn't true.

Having said that, I like the idea of the 15" Mini-meat... can't wait to hear
one!

EV"

I would agree. All guitar amps don't need tweaking to be phenomenal harp
amps.
Let's us return to the thrilling days of yesteryear...back to when there was
no
such thing as a 'harp amp'. When Little Walter played through public address
system
amps, when guitar amps were in their rudimentary days. Those guitar amps
WERE the
amps that modern day 'harp amps' try to emulate. And there's NO denying that
many
modern amps designed solely for harp DO capture that sound. But back in
those early
days, harp amps were an unknown...all they had were guitar amps, or public
address
amps or amps for other uses such as accordions or console organs. Names like
Masco,
Premier, Magnatone,early Fenders or Gibsons, Kay (I have the first model Kay
ever
built..wood cabinet and no 1/4" jack, it used the screw on solder dimple
type mic
connector, sounds great), Silvertones or Dan Electros. All guitar amps. So
custom
harp amps give us what the quickly disappearing vintage guitar amps of old
did.
Besides that '40 Kay I have in my collection a 1951 Gibson GA-20 (2 6V6, 5Y3
rectifier
for about 14 W), a 1947 Gibson BR-9 (mighty 10W with 2 6V6 tubes),a 1482
Silvertone,
and the 6X10 Jensen speakered cabinet with the 1485 Silvertone head. All
sound great,
all were/are guitar amps.

bill otten