Re: [Harp-L]Generalizing about instruments

It was as you say a generalisation and useful for what it was intended to be useful for. It was scaled in a very gross way and because of this it is very assailable in terms of actual detail and exceptions. My expectation was always that it would be challenged I'm just surprised it took as long as it did for this to happen. Deficiency isn't my word nor do I believe any of the instruments I quickly catalogued are deficient in any way.

think one of the biggest issues with harmonica is they aren't very
legato.

Nowhere in that sentence do I say that harmonicas cannot be legato. I do think the Ode To Joy challenge did find some challenges in this regard but I do not mean to say that harmonicas cannot be played in a legato fashion or that they should always or never be played in any certain fashion.

Music is as always about expression. People should choose whatever instrument they feel allows them to express whatever it is they are wanting or needing to express. I embrace the broad palette of choices human kind has devised for musical expression. I would be rather a dull world if all we had for music were harmonicas or any other instrument for that matter. I'm trying to come up with an instrument I don't really like. Maybe those Tesla coil things with the analogue computers driving them. The distortion hurts my ears but even those were fun for the first 15 minutes or so. fjm