[Harp-L] Charlie McCoy

Charlie vacations in FL every winter and does a few small shows w/acoustic
guitar/singer and/or small local back up band at RV Parks around the state.

Vicki and I saw him last night in Eustis, FL. While it is not the setting
for which he can use first class musicians, it is a relaxed and appreciative
audience - reminded me a lot of SPAH - most in the audience with white hair. The
 RV crowd is also like SPAH in that it is its own mini community of extended
friends and family, all traveling around the country crossing paths as senior
 citizen nomads.

He finally recorded a CD that he's been wanting to for a while (especially
after his time spent w/Toots in Belgium) - all jazz and contemporary
standards, using an excellent group of back up regional jazz musicians -  entitled
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow". In typical Charlie fashion, he kept  talking up the
abilities of these musicians and downplayed his own contributions  (leaning
towards me and saying "and would you believe that all I had  to do was play the
melodies?").

This CD is a great musical demonstration on how to let the melody tell the
story without embellishment. I found it very similar to Peggy Lee's approach to
 melody - pure, unadorned, with a subtle and original sense of swing.

Charlie uses mostly country tuned harmonica and is not afraid to use all  the
notes created through bending technique on the two and three inhales, so
there is a lot of real music created, not just through "avoid notes" and note
substitutions, although he does have a great sense of note substitution when
necessary.

I am moving more towards Richard Hunter's assessment of harmonica music
created using altered tunings rather than OB, OD, It sounds so  sweet. Just listen
to Charlie play beautiful melodies.

The CD is self produced and available through Charlie McCoy at shows  and
through his web site.

Charlie also tells great jokes.

The Iceman
steps!