Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Harp Dream (this is as real as it gets)

A lot of what you say makes sense, John...the subconscious mind is an
amazing thing....but the only factor you might not have figured in is that Abner
doesn't play harmonica ...or at least is brand new to the instrument...so in
effect, is saying he played 'under the influence' of pain meds while believing
he was asleep, in a way he had absolutely no knowledge of in real time.   His
wife said he actually did this ...while in effect 'sleepwalking'...So it
wasn't a matter of any 'lick' which had been escaping him for months, but
something he previously had no knowledge of how to do at all...

NOW how would you explain this new-found ability? <G>

...because I'd sure like some of it. :)

Elizabeth

P.S.  I somehow suspect the neck brace in playing a part.  I too  was forced
to wear one after severely injuring my neck prior to a surgeon   trying to
push me into the very same surgery Abner's recovering from.   I'm a much bigger
chicken than he is....I half-seriously  told my doctor I'd give permission if
he could mold my neck into  the proper chromatic playing position...(he wasn't
amused). I found another much  more conservative surgeon and recovered without
surgery...but do remember  falling asleep wearing the brace at times
constricted blood vessels (and  breathing) sufficiently enough to cause strange dreams
even without the  opiates....

(snipped)

"I know that this sounds like voodoo mumbo-jumbo, but I really  believe
that it happens. I think that this is what happened in Abner's  dream.
His mind clicked and he began playing all of those tunes he had  been
working on, but never quite figured out while he was awake. I bet if  he
had a recording of it, he would have said: "I've been trying to get  that
lick for months!"

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL

steps!