Re: [Harp-L] Andy Griffith, jazz harp, Maxwell Street

Mick Zaklan wrote:
 I notice that today is the 50th anniversary of the release of
"Shouting the Blues and Old Timey Songs".  This was an Andy Griffith
album that featured Brownie McGhee and possibly Sonny Terry on some tracks, backing up Sheriff Andy.  I know that Andy and Brownie were pretty tight; dating back to their time on the set of the movie classic "A Face in the Crowd".  Haven't heard it myself; but I'm betting it was a pretty good
album.  Sounds like something Tom Ball might have in his collection.
-------
I'm laughing here, Mick.  I do indeed have the album in my collection, although I must admit it's been awhile since I've listened to it. At the moment I'm typing from the road -- Kenny and I are gigging this week up in Mammoth -- so I can't check my copy to see how many songs Brownie played on, but if memory serves, it's only 2 or 3.  And I don't think Sonny appears on it, but will double-check my copy when I get home next week, and if Sonny is indeed there, will send an E reporting so.

Yep, Andy & Brownie were friends. In fact the Martin D18 that Brownie played for the last couple decades of his life was a gift from Andy, dating back to Face In The Crowd.

In any event this was a rather quirky recording and has to be one of the odder musical couplings of it's era. Too bad Floyd The Barber wasn't available, too....

cheers and Happy New Year to all,

Tom Ball, reporting from 9,000 feet in loads o' snow.