[Harp-L] '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue

Well, i installed a set of JJ Electronics replacement tubes in my PRRI. As expected, the tone is now a little smoother and slightly fatter than it was with the stock tubes (Groove Tubes power and preamp tubes, and a Ruby Tubes phase inverter) which i thought sounded harsh. NOTE: i did not change the configuration of the tubes, i just replaced them.

As we all know, different mics can sometimes make a particular amp sound dramatically different. Naturally, i started playing around with the amp after i changed the tubes, fooling around using different mics, etc. i have a Shure 545 with a volume control that was modified to use with a guitar cord and switched to hi impedance by Greg Heumann. ( I had originally got it to use with my Super Reverb RI, but I wound up usually using a Fireball V with the Super instead). Btw, I'm not a bullet mic guy.

Anyway, to my ear, the 545 and the PRRI are a match made in heaven. Someone had commented that the original Princeton Reverb may be a little too trebly and i had agreed that the PRRI can be somewhat lacking in midrange without using an equalizer. But, with the 545 plugged into the #2 input jack and the volume control attenuated a little on the mic, these problems cease to exist. Using the 545, this amp sounds absolutely GREAT with no devices between the mic and the amp. Really nice tube textured tone and wonderful responsiveness. I'm so glad i sold my Blues Jr. to get this amp.

FWIW, this is a follow up to my earlier posts.

JP