To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] James Montgomery

James was one of my first influences - an early recording called "First Time Out" - cover had a picture of someone getting shot out of a cannon. I used to cover a tune from this album - called "Son of Jump", that started out "Got home late last night, tried to wake my baby in bed." Great arrangement - not typical blues changes - and a great harmonica solo. His brother used to bartend at Tom's Oyster Bar in E. Detroit, another great hang out, so I got to meet James through him when James came to Detroit. What I remember is that James live was the master of the endless song endings and segues.

James, Corky Siegel (live version of Hush Hush) and Lee Oskar (live War recordings) were who caught my imagination as I came out of the chute and headed in the diatonic direction.

The Iceman