[Harp-L] Re: Staking v Swaging v Embossing v Burnishing (was: Embossing v Burnishing)

Boy, wait till you find out what else doesn't change :-).  Great to
have you back, good doctor, but as I pointed out in another post, I
already said drawing the sharp object (i.e., glass cutter, stout
needle) alongside the slot could indeed be called swaging; but
embossing a reedslot is another operation altogether: it's creating
raised bosses on the side walls of the reedslot to reduce the reed
clearance by drawing a rounded tool along the slot under significant
pressure.  I think that operation ought to continue to go by the name
embossing, and if that's the way most people size a reedslot to the
reed, then embossing's going to be the catch-all term, by default,
despite occasional inaccuracy.  Staking's a good term to know about,
though, as is swaging.  We're in trouble if we take mass production
for granted.

Stephen Schneider