Re: [Harp-L] Embossing v Burnishing

On Jan 2, 2009, at 3:03 PM, captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

SmoJoe said:
In the act of embossing, you are forcing material UP by putting pressure on the surrounding material.

Can you please explain - exactly where on the reed plate is the material forced upward?

Ron, you just answered why the thing you are doing is swaging and not embossing.

To emboss the half of the slot that is not near the rivet, I use a small socket.

A good choice. I use a ball bearing. That way no matter WHICH way you press. you will always have the SAME arc.

My impression is that this causes both sides of a slot to be simultaneously squeezed IN towards the reed

Your impression is correct. That makes it more than an impression. You should be an impressionist :)

, thereby reducing tolerances between the edges of the reed and the reed slot.

Exactamundo. You are pushing sideways..ergo, you are swaging. In embossing, you are forcing metal UP. I don't think you are doing that with your socket.

Ron