From: Robert Coble <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Lowering the reed pad and reed aerodynamics
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 7:11 AM

Rick Epping gave some absolutely wonderful information aboutembossing and
chamfering reeds.One of his techniques is to lower the reed into/toward the slot
atthe reed pad/heel, using a fingernail to press down on the reed.Could a
similar effect be achieved by removing a square from the reedplate (where the
reed is attached)? This would seem to eliminatethe need to press the reed down
(bending it slightly) and it wouldleave no angle at the edge of the reedplate.
Would this increasereed longevity and response sufficiently to make it worth the
work?(I do realize that this is NOT something that would be done at the
factory.)A second question: Rick gave a very thorough description of
theimprovement in aerodynamics by chamfering the reed. Has anyone(specifically
an engineer trained in aerodynamics as well as mechanics)done a study of the
optimal aerodynamic shape of a reed to facilitatereed activation and
oscillation? If so, have the results of that study been made public?I realize
that there are tradeoffs involved (some of which are the costsassociated with
creating a nonlinear surface shape in a productionenvironment). I'm just
curious...Thanks!Crazy Bob