[Harp-L] Re: Cruncher has landed

Bill is right on most points.  I don't know about the semi-pro part though,
He is good for the ego though:-)

Anyway, I was really impressed with the Cruncher.  The amp actually has  inputs
that do something other then reduce the gain a little like a guitar amp.

When Sonny created a Normal channel and Bright channel he wasn't just filling in with
bells and whistles.  I'm use to keeping the  treble around 2 or 3 on my vintage DR because
of the feedback problems.   On my circa '48 Flot A Tone I keep the tone control set to more treble then bass because
it has a higher gain before feedback then the DR.   I've found over the years that the "crunch"  or gritty sound you hear comes from the treble not the bass.  The bass you feel in the gut,  but the treble you hear with your ears.

This leads back to the Cruncher which is aptly named.
You don't dial this amp in like other amps because there is nothing out there like it.
Bill rolled in with the amp about 5 minutes before the jam began so there wasn't time to do a sound check.
He gave me a quick rundown and I plugged in my crystal mic into the Bright input. I was surprised how high I had to set the volume to be heard. I only had the treble on 2 because I didn't know what to expect.   I had the amp cranked to 7. The next song I used the 545 in the Normal channel, again with the treble set on 2 and volume near 7.
I watched for cues from Bill on my volume and cranked it as needed.

When the break came I did a quick read through of the manual and told Bill the key is in the Treble setting and making sure the mic is in the right input.  I plugged my 545 into the Bright input just to see what would happen.
I lost half the signal compared to the crystal mic. (You really need to pay attention to Sonny's advice. The inputs do what they are meant to do for a specific mic).
Once that was figured out the rest of the night made for some really good harp workout by the 4 of us using it. I went back up later in the evening and wailed.  The audience responded differently then they have in the past and all the attention was given to the harp players more so then the guitarists.  Even the guitar players commented on the amp.

I'm considering having my amp tech do a check up on my vintage DR then put it on ebay so I can buy a Cruncher.
I love the vintage Fender sound but there is so much more you can do with the Cruncher.  If there were ever an attainable Holy Grail amp for blues players I'm guessing this is it.  Great job Sonny.:)

Mike