Subject: [Harp-L] jason ricci revival experience in florida--new songwriting

Great and welcome review, Randy.  It's nice when people on Harp-l take  the
time to remember and review list members who contributed (and still  contribute
so much) to the advancement of harmonica playing.

FWIW, Jason has always written (together with Shawn Starski before
this)....many of the songs/instrumentals they perform/ed in their shows.   'Sonja', for
instance...was written mostly by Shawn and eventually named for his  Mom.
Gorgeous piece of music. It should be out as a single.  With  Jason's harp
almost indistinguishable from Shawn's guitar, it's been a  particular favourite of
mine from first listen. There are other songs of their  own on the Rocket No.
9 CD that must be heard as well.  They've never been  much of a 'cover' band,
but from your review, it sounds as though their  songwriting is now reaching
bigger and better heights.

I'm stoked to hear what new stuff this latest configuration of the  band
(with Todd and Ed) have come up with, from your description.  There's  so much
more to them than harp players who haven't seen them perform Live seem  to think.
 Too many people don't do their homework and simply accept  negative reviews
here by certain people who have long-held axes to  grind.  My one wish is for
everyone who likes diatonic harp to  actually go to hear Jason play.  You'll
understand, then.  None of our  reviews, none of the videos, none of the
audios, can do him and New Blood  justice. This band has to be experienced Live.

Others dismiss them as a 'jam band'...since certain college kids  think of
them that way, and they are played on some Jam Band radio  stations.  Not
so...Jason and New Blood are so much more than that and can  hold their own with
anyone, on any stage.  Walter Trout wouldn't have  had Jason accompany him to
Europe if he didn't have a huge amount of of  respect for Jason's harp playing.
As well, Shawn has already been named one of  the Top 10 hottest 'new'
guitarists by Guitar Magazine...(I wonder how many  years one has to spend on the road
playing before one is no longer thought of as  'new'?) lol...

Todd is a wonderful multi-talented instrumentalist who brings a whole  new
subtle jazz vibe to the band...a direction I love to see them headed  in...and
Ed (their newest drummer), has solid creds and is an  absolute pleasure to
listen to.

Fortuitously perhaps...just last night I ran across this small video of one
partial version of Jason's cover of Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild Side'.  At
the end he segues into "I'm a New Man'. The sound isn't perfect...his voice
sounds muffled through the camera speaker, but the harmonica playing is stellar
for those who might not have yet heard him.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaQkF63hY0&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaQkF63hY0&feature=related)

They get better and better each time I see them play..which seems
impossible. You folks in Florida are so blessed to have them go  through there as often
as they do...I hope they get back to the NY area  before long since I do so
need my Jason Ricci and New Blood  'fix'.  :)

Elizabeth

Message: 4