Re: [Harp-L] Country Western harmonica players

I attended a Bluegrass Festival last week to see Ralph Stanley (he still
sings like a bird, but has to lower the key of his songs when he is a little
hoarse - he is in his mid 80's - real sharp dresser, too).

One music vendor had two harmonica DVD's on the table, one of them being
David Barrett's Blues Harmonica instructional. I asked the vendor how well
harmonica instruction books/DVD's sell - he told me there was very little  interest
in harmonica at these festivals and that harmonica was not really part  of
this music scene (after all, Bill Monroe didn't have a harmonica in his  band).
It got me thinking about how this music came together and the instruments
involved.

Upright bass - plays roots/fifths defining chords and plays on downbeats  one
and three.
mandolin - plays rhythm chops on upbeats two and four
guitar - plays bass note (roots/fifths) on one and three and strums chords
on two and four
banjo - plays "picky" notes constantly throughout
violin - reinforces beats two and four and arcs melodic lines during  tunes

of course, the vocals are unadorned (no vibrato, for the most part) and are
straightforward and clean
harmonies - nothing really denser than dominant seventh or a sus chord and
sounds like angels

It occurred to me that this really covers all the bases w/out duplicating
efforts using five instruments. Where would a harmonica fit in - what would it
add to the structure? I concluded that it would duplicate something that was
already in place and was therefore unnecessary to the overall sound. At most,
if  the mandolin player was absent, a harmonica could add that back beat on
two and  four.

So, harmonica is an odd man out, at least in this format. Therefore, no  real
interest or focus on harmonica, unless it is the bandleader's instrument a
la Buddy Greene or maybe Mike Stevens.

Bluegrass may be considered a sub genre of CW music.

In a message dated 1/6/2009 10:46:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,