Subject: [Harp-L] two questions from a newbie

Igor:

I couldn't agree more with Brian's take on it. Some people like to 'tell'
others how they should play and practice, instead of advising them to do what is
 natural and what works best for the player.

In my case, I don't call it 'practice' at all.  I put on music of my
choosing and play along with it.  It makes the time go so much  faster, is not
strenuous at all....sometimes I play for a few  minutes, sometimes a couple of
hours. When I get tired or it's simply not  'enjoyable' anymore, I stop.

..I seem to have a natural ability to keep the beat, but listening to real
music can't hurt (so I've never used a metronome for harmonica)....couldn't
stand them when I took piano lessons, so wouldn't think of using them for
harp...

I think of it as...the beat rarely stays exactly the same throughout a live
performance, so why get locked into a metronome? It sounds too monotonous to
me.  I'd rather listen to real music instead...so you see? That's what makes us
all  so different.  Some people work fine with a metronome...it's just not
for  me.

And my ace-in-the-hole are the book/cd's play alongs available for all  types
of music: jazz, rock, soul, etc. In my case, it's mostly  jazz...I prefer the
Hal Leonard book/cd combos.  I've already gotten quite  a bit out of them but
haven't yet spent all that much time working with  them yet (my time has been
constrained, lately)....

But...there is no way I would pay heed to anyone inSISTing that  one must
play every single day, no matter what else is going on.  OR  at the 'same time'
every day.

I get bad headaches. If I forced myself to play through a headache on  those
days, I would have probably grown to hate the very idea of playing and  given
up music and harmonicas altogether by now. So I find that kind of advice
completely absurd. You're not an elementary school kid who needs to be  policed...
allowances have to be made for one's 'real' life. IF you  want to play in a
regimented fashion, then follow a 'regimented' routine...but I  doubt that's
what you want in the long run  if you're interested in  diatonics in the first
place.

The best players seem to have a far more free-wheeling approach to playing
and practice...you can actually find out from some of them by listening to or
reading their own take on it (Adam Gussow's, Jason Ricci's and Ronnie
Shellist's tutorials...all on YouTube, among other players).

You might want to watch their various YouTube tutorials on how to
practice...there are many available, if you find them interesting...and just for  the
record...most of Adam's tutorials take place in his car although he is  stopped
at the time <G>

here are some urls to get you started:

Jason Ricci: (this first url is from his very first teaching video done 3
years ago, but only recently put up on YouTube (end of 2007)...he has many more
up-to-date ones which you can access after this 3-part video...but this
first is definitely worth watching...he talks about breathing and  scales,
vibrato, bending...and for the record, Jason plays primarily  lip-pursing:

1.   _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apm_psk7NN0_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apm_psk7NN0)

2.    _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxP7j-4odEk&feature=channel_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxP7j-4odEk&feature=channel)

3.    _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXwZyE5wrkI&feature=channel_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXwZyE5wrkI&feature=channel)

Here's a lesson (one of MANY) from Adam Gussow from December,  2007..but I
like this particular one because he's showing how to sing and keep a
beat...very good info and about as down to earth and informative as one can  get...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sKJX0FOAw&feature=channel_page_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sKJX0FOAw&feature=channel_page)

Ronnie Shellist: he also has many, many videos..but this was his first (I
think)..with a link to his teaching website as well...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrL-nWXpJ0&feature=channel_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrL-nWXpJ0&feature=channel)

So play as long as you feel good about playing...run up and down the scale
if that's what you feel like doing at that particular moment.

I keep my harmonicas handy so I can play whenever  I hear some appealing
music ...you might want to try that...but above all,  have FUN!  Music is supposed
to bring happiness and fun to our  lives..not be a chore or punishment, nor
cause pain or discomfort.  If your  mouth/lips are trembling and
exhausted..then stop, relax, take a break.   Play again only when you feel rested.  Keep
yourself hydrated...I feel  'trembly' most often if I'm hungry OR thirsty...so I
drink a lot of  water...sipping in between playing.

 It works for me, and if you pay attention to most of the  professionals who
play on stage, they almost always have water with  them...since performing
under the lights can get very hot and exhausting.

Don't push yourself past your capabilities on any one session.

Maybe find some music you really love to listen to, which pleases YOUR  ears,
and try to play along with it.  I suspect that's what will probably  make you
feel the best about 'practice'...since it seems you are pushing  yourself
very far with each session.

Above all, enjoy!

Elizabeth

Message: 3