Re: [Harp-L] Re: amps for beginners?

Seriously, where is it written that a new player cannot learn good "chops"
and good habits while dabbling with amped tone?  My experience with students
is contrary to that.

And more importantly, when does the new player get permission to start using
an amp?  Some Harp-Lers imply that the amp should come after the player has
accomplished good acoustic tone, but what the heck does that mean?  I can't
think of anything more arbitrary and subjective.

If a player aspires toward entertaining one day, he'll likely have to deal
with amplification -- and the techniques and challenges that presents.  If
he wants to be a Chicago Blues guy, he will certainly need to develop some
mic skills.  Even a bluegrass or Irish player will need to someday step up
to a mic and do his thing.  It takes practice to sound good though a mic, be
that a vocal mic on a stand or a bullet mic in your hand.

The students I take on are all Blues players who want the nasty amped tone.
They know what it sounds like, and it is rewarding hearing them
progress.  Some sound amazing after a relatively short time.  Every student
has his own path.  It seems wrong-headed for us to demand that all blues
harp students play only acoustic music.  Do we make the same demand of
guitar students?

Again, I mean no disrepect for any Harp-Ler who may disagree.  I see the
wisdom in your point of view.  But I wish I had gotten involved with amps
sooner than I did, since the close-mic'ed amped sound is what I
always loved.

-Rick Davis