[Harp-L] Speaking of amps... My 5F2H and a new harp amp from Mission Amps

My gigging rig now is the 5F2H designed by Bruce Collins of Mission Amps in
Denver.  I got the amp (which sells as a kit from Weber) already built up.
However, it didn't really shine until I took it to Bruce for some tweaks.

It is a class A amp, maybe 10 watts on a good day.  Think of a monster
Champ.  It runs a single KT66 power tube heated up to saturation levels for
a nasty snarl.  The amp is in a tweed Deluxe (5E3) cabinet and drives a
Weber 12-inch speaker.

The tone is unique.  It is the epitome of "Harp Amp" with a tone that I've
never heard in any other amp, and would sound terrible with any other
instrument.  I get constant comments and questions about the tone.

The amp has a speaker-sampling line out that sounds outstanding through the
PA system.  It weighs only 31 pounds.  I'm approaching geezerhood so the
light weight and small footprint are cool.  I put it on an amp stand and run
a little through the PA, none through the monitors.  The tone is smoky and
over-driven without being too ratty.  Very old-school Chicago.  I love
it.

Yesterday I was at the Mission Amps shop and Bruce let me play though the
prototype of a new harp amp he has in development, called the American 18
Watter.  All I can tell you now is that it is two very pumped up 6V6 power
tubes and some big output iron in a tweed Deluxe cab.  He'll make two
versions, one a dedicated harp amp and the other for guitar.  This thing
is killer.  I'll have more information about the amp, reviews and sounds
clips on the blog as the project matures.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog