[Harp-L] Re: amps for beginners?

On Jan 10, 2009, at 10:17 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I also found it a big difference to learn to play while holding a mic
rather than just the harp. I felt I had to re-learn some things which
was disappointing since I had them down when playing acoustically.

These are some reasons I consider approaching amplified harp as another instrument. Holding the mic/harp, viewing the amp and mics as instruments separately and corporately, integrating your resonance/ harp/mic interface, "pushing" the amp, as well as the experience others have noted of all of a sudden hearing EVERY nuance of your playing; how to adjust to that and make it work for you. It can be a disappointing experience to the newbie. It was to me.

It's really not as simple as picking up a mic and blowing. I know - I've been there. I used to think it was that easy. You can hear players who are satisfied with this approach to amplified harp in the Chicago mold. They just sound louder, that's all. Big deal; I can do that with a PA. If you want the coloration, the tone, the texture, the effects; it's a whole 'nuther learning situation.

"That's the fact, Jack."

Ray.

--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music