RE: [Harp-L] Re: amps for beginners?

My first post to this as I joined a week ago and this topic has been pretty
intense since I joined.

As a beginner (started maybe 8 months ago at age 61, but I also got on my
first motorcycle at 50, so I am a little nuts. According to Adam Gussow, you
need to be a little nuts to play blues harp),  I think is it fair to say
that amateurs and professionals alike enjoy the "toys" aspect of most
pursuits. I bought a Pignose little battery amp, hooked it up with an old
tape recorder dynamic mic, and it taught me one thing - no way I am ready
for amped playing. My wife seconded that very quickly - something about it
sounded like I was killing a cat. The Little Walter blues sound is not
something you can get a sense for, I think, buy just playing along or
playing alone, but that's me. I do not think that it hurts anything to buy
an amp and find out you need more practice. I guess if you are not offending
anyone, it is fine. There are those moments when I actually sounded OK. I
also wear hearing aids and the amp did help me hear my playing better, but
that is an aside.

I sure as heck do not want my errors to sound any worse by amplifying them.
There are morons who would, however...

OF greater importance to a New player is - I want an amp and a mic for
starters and which is the best solution.

I am sure that there is plenty of info on that in the archives. Like I got a
Pignose, but heard about epiphone and roland after I got that. The tube vs
solid state I guess is interesting, but at my stage, $60 at a pawn shop got
me my amp NEW. The little amp is fun, but I practice without it.

Dan Manturi
908-295-9341