RE: [Harp-L] Playing at the IBC

I'll be there but only to support the local bands my blues society is
sending (Don Johnson Project, Don Judy (solo), and Little Ivory Blues
Band (in the youth showcase, featuring a bunch of *great* teenagers
playing trad chicago blues *with* harp).

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Beale so look me up Dov, call my room
or something, or message me off list for my cell. I have a list of the
bands somewhere and there's *always* great harp playing there. There's
so much going on at once though, it can be tough to identify the bands
with harp and get to them in time since the sets are short (20 mins or
so). Get the program as soon as you get there and go through it and mark
it up, that's what I do.

For sure check out Ian Collard of Collard Greens & Gravy from Australia.
He's a fantastic harp player, maybe the best you'll see there. There's a
band called WSNB that I love that features some nasty harp by the front
man, I always check them out.

Then there are the jams - every night when the competition ends there
are open jams from like 11pm to 2-3am in some of the bars. The most
notable one is at the Rum Boogie right on Beale. That one is usually
attended by Bob Margolin and others from Muddy's old bands (Willie "Big
Eyes" Smith was there last year, and one or two others). You are free to
sign up for these, some are easier to get to play in than others. I was
thrilled to play last year on that stage.

Anyone else going, please post on-list or email me and I'll keep a list.
Maybe we can arrange an impromptu harp-l gathering.

Bill