Re: [Harp-L] The Internet

Excellent observations that extend beyond this list out into the rest of
("reality" is what you make it...).

Being involved w/gourmet food, the realization that what I like doesn't
necessarily have to be what everyone else likes (or buys) really helped in
understanding how to grow the business. I suppose there was a fork in the road  and
a decision made - the common denominator amongst the public is pretty low in
the scale of quality (as I perceive it).

I see these choices here in Central FL - this area is based on pleasing
tourists. The European and Canadian tourists are literate and polite. The US
tourists are fat, bloated, and rude, for the most part, and yet, they are the
ones spending their money. Businesses do well in this area that offer "McDee"
products.

Our choice was to limit our scope, offering a high quality product that
costs a bit more. The downside is that a lot of the public says "That's  awfully
expensive for such a little jar". Since we made the decision to stick to  our
personal philosophy of upgrading quality, the challenge is to find those  that
are on our wavelength. The conclusion (after a few years of frustration) is
that we now seek out areas of demographics that fit our philosophy, which is
definitely NOT Central FL, rather than compromise our "artistic  integrity".

The beauty of the world is that it is soooo populated, one can find people
that are aligned with what we offer to date. We travel farther away from our
immediate area to do so, however. Now, we are planning on leaving this area and
 moving closer to our demographic markets rather than complaining that those
in  our immediate area just don't "get it".

The same may be said of musical artistic integrity. One way to make it is  to
lower the bar and offer what the bulk of the general public understands and
likes - "McHarmonica". Some are able to swallow this and do it, others just
can't and stick to their guns, but have a longer struggle to find their
markets.  The belief that one can "educate and upgrade" the perception of the public
is  the longer road.

I've mentioned before that those on this list are a drop in the bucket
compared to the rest, but since we all meet here and chat, we've found an island
in the midst of the vast human ocean that reinforces our beliefs.

If you are able to carve your own smaller niche and ignore the vast
majority, finding enough on your little island to sustain you, congratulations.

The Iceman

In a message dated 1/12/2009 12:36:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,