Re: [Harp-L] The Internet

 Digital piracy is a problem. So is the growing belief that anything on the
internet should be free and the belief that it is OK for one to download a
song for free.  Unfortunately, It is the new reality.  It is interesting
however, that many on this list have no qualms watching online performances
that may have been posted without permission. (I seem to recall  the
discussion here of software that enables one to capture streaming music.)
And, no, it does not matter that the performer is deceased.

Anyone can post their performance and have millions see it. And reality TV
brings massive exposure to some who have no more talent than to be good at
reality TV. But people have a chance to be heard now that never did before.
How many performances by unknowns have been passed around this very list?
As far as A&R men, very few were ever a friend of music. Hasn't this list
complained that labels ruin music? That the truly talented aren't given a
chance? Remember, A&R men gave us Brittney Spears and Freddie Cannon.
American Idol is, in essence, nothing more than an A&R man. And not much
less.

My personal tastes in music, food, art, etc. are far from pedestrian. But I
still am irked when someone portrays the "average" person as a knuckle
dragging Neanderthal with no real taste. It is elitist and not particularly
accurate.
Popular does not mean bad. Nor does it mean good. It means popular. Why
something is popular is a subject of some debate, one that will not likely
ever be settled.
Do please remember that the vast majority of the music discussed on this
list was at some time popular.

Making money means making compromises, no matter what the job. Artists and
musicians are not exempt. How much and how far are an individual matter.

I dislike the thought that one must "pay dues" to be considered. Of course
one needs to practices one's craft to become truly accomplished. But whether
one's path is a paved highway or a dirt trail is irrelevant to one's
abilities.

"We all should hold music and all art to a higher standard than 'anybody can
do it.' "
To this I wholeheartedly agree. Although the exact definition of what
defines either will never reach consensus.

My post is meant as no disrespect to anyone, it is merely how I see things.