[Harp-L] "Average" vs pro harp playing (was: Internet)

Well, it drives me up the wall too. And of course you could add Springsteen
(and the room goes WIIIIILD!!!), and a whole raft of others.
I'd take slight exception to the implied dis on the Roadhouse Blues  harp.
Granted, the short riff played by John Sebastian Jr. on that cut is a  simple
one. But Sebastian was and is an accomplished player nonetheless, and his  tone
and articulation are spot on. Simple, but nowhere near as grating as, say,
Tom Petty. Or Alanis Morissette. But I do get your point.
And of course, it's ALL relative.

Jeff G
Denver

In a message dated 1/12/2009 12:01:42 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
_dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
writes:

I was  really frustrated, making similar observations to the ones in your
post.   Hell, I still am.  What I started to realize was that nobody cared, and
that I looked like a jerk every time I called someone out for their  "crap".
Why?  Because the average is the majority.  They think  Neil Young just wails
on the harp.  They freaking LOVE the harp in  Roadhouse Blues.  They eat up
reality TV like it's gourmet food at  discount prices