RE: [Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 65, Issue 39

Geoff,

Instead of using the blues scale for Honky Tonk Woman try soloing using the
blues scale of the relative minor (blues scale based on the sixth degree).
I'm assuming the band plays Honky Tonk Woman in "G" in which case the scale
would be: G, A, Bb, B, D, E, G'.

This works out great in second position:
Lower range: 2 draw (or 3 blow), 3 draw/bb, 3 draw/b, 3 draw, 4 draw, 5
blow, 6 blow; -- (1 draw, 2 blow gives you D and E below)
Upper range: 6 blow, 6 draw, 6 overblow, 7 draw, 8 draw, 8 blow, 9 blow.

Don't worry about the overblow too much: the scale will sound great with
that note missing. Also, the 3 draws can be hard to get clean but almost any
bend on draw 3 will sound good (unless you hit the bbb (triple) bend).

Keith uses this scale to solo on and the Country Honk fiddle solo is also
based on this scale. Agreeing with a previous post do check out Country Honk
from Let It Bleed. The fiddle lines can give you great ideas of what to play
on and it will sound good in the rock version as well.

I hope this helps.

A.C.
http://acbluesband.com