[Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 65, Issue 38

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:09:34 -0500
From: Robert Bonfiglio <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] The Internet
Quote:.........
I heard a winner of American Idol sing with the New York Pops just
after a REAL singer did two numbers from West Side Story.  The
American Idol singer got blown off the stage; it was embarassing. But
who cares?  We all should.  We all should hold music and all art to a
higher standard than "anybody can do it."
Harmonically yours,
Robert Bonfiglio

>From Geoff Atkins:
What a damning and sadly, accurate indictment of today's music scene Robert has
written!
Today Music is a man with a mike, a mouth and a MIDI. He costs 85% of a real
musician and gives 15% -or less- enjoyment. And bar patrons ignore him, as they
should.
A recent carol service, where orchestra and choir were expected, turned out to
be a boom box playing CDs by Nat King Cole. A lady vocalist didn't know the
words and couldn't otherwise accompany the music.
And no-one complained but me.